[Dailydrool] Long trips with hounds!

Cheryl Stafford via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Jan 7 16:11:46 PST 2017

We have done two long trips with two Bloodhounds and two Basset Hounds. And once with just one Basset. All three trips were 11-12 hours.
The first time with four dogs we stopped halfway and stayed at a La Quinta. This worked out well for three of the four dogs. The forth dog was an emotional wreck so he and I didn't get much sleep!
The second, with one Basset, again stopped and stayed at a La Quinta. Dog did OK but wouldn't go potty!
Our dogs are raw fed which throws a whole new wrench into things.
The third trip, with the four dogs, we did NOT stop! We got up, let the dogs out to potty, gave a small treat and loaded up for the ride. We pulled out of the driveway at 5:30am and the dogs SLEPT. We stopped halfway for gas and did a potty break for the dogs then it was back at it! I much prefer the straight through driving to the overnight. Much easier on the dogs, they slept almost the whole way. One stop to potty was enough. The less you stop the less chance of someone getting away from you.
That's what's worked for us.
Cheryl

Sent from my iPad