[Dailydrool] CADI. Shots for allergies

Pat via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jan 19 07:19:59 PST 2017

In our pack there is our severely allergic Bloodhound, Pippa.  I've posted in the past about our use of Apoquel for Pippa's allergies.  Compared to past treatment Apoquel was such a relief in symptoms for her.  However, about a year ago, the ability to relieve allergic symptoms for
Pippa, with Apoquel , is not as great as it used to be. It goes in spells so I would say its mostly due to changes in the allergens in the air.  We live in the midwest so the weather changes constantly. About a year ago the veterinary dermatologist decided to change things up a bit by taking her off Apoquel and trying the CADI shot.  It successfully relieved her symptoms for about 50 days. It was about $199.00. So the plan was to occasionally use a shot and take a break from Apoquel.  I think the thinking was to relieve the body's organs from using and filtering the same meds for a long time.
Now, as time has gone by the cost has come down to $99. 00 a shot but it appears to loose its effectiveness within a month. So then the debate is $42.00 ((Apoquel) as opposed to $99.00 per
Month for CADI shot. Last month we had our vet do a complete chem panel on Pippa..everything is in normal range with kidneys and liver etc. The vet was pleased with the readings being Pippa is 8 years old.
So at this point, the plan is to stick with the Apoquel with an occasional switch to a CADI shot if her symptoms seem to indicate a need for change.

Our Pw Lilygurl ATB, suffered miserably from allergies too and I wish we would have had Apoquel
when she was around. I do think it is extremely helpful. The CADI shots have only been around the past year and a half that I know of and probably would have been too expensive at that time. I am glad they are starting to come down in pricing.

Pippa is doing well except for her ears which are a whole other matter.

Please keep in mind, I am only sharing our experiences I am not an expert on it, but we do take her to the vet regularly and the dermatologist periodically and everyone is on the same page with Pippa at the moment.

Rudy and I send love and drool to all who need it.

Pat and Rudy
Sent from my iPad