[Dailydrool] Odell ATB: Chapter 2

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jan 27 13:20:50 PST 2017

So, Odell was adopted at maybe six or seven months old by Kim and Jim.  ANd never has a dog found a more fabulous home.  Odell quickly became a mascot at the Hawaiian high school and was made the ambassetdoor of a service group dedicated to placing rescue dogs and caring for a colony of feral cats at the school.  Odell also masqueraded as a "drug-sniffing" (not) chaperone at high school proms, wearing his signature tie-dye T shirt.  He was soon famous.

Odell has been featured in numerous professional calendars, at least one book, one movie, and one commercial.  ODell had his own line of greeting cards, a portion of sales of which benefited the Hawaiian Humane society.  Odell also did volunteer work as a first aid model for his vet clinic, patiently being bandaged up at demonstrations around the islands. If you google "Basset hounds in Hawaii" or "Odell Basset", you will see Odell's photo. He was a star of the first order--photogenic, patient, with charisma to spare.

My husband and I left our two (then) bassets, Bo and Harley, with Kim and Jim when we traveled to a different island for my husband's job interviews.  My basset boys suffered from tremendous separation anxiety.  At the Slagel, they went swimming to a dog-friendly play fest on a sandbar one morning, then journeyed to a school picnic where they were doted on in the afternoon. When we went to pick them up the next day, they did not want to come with us for the first time ever.  Living with Kim and Jim is basset paradise.  More next post.

Val