[Dailydrool] Dog Park

Julie Canny via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jul 27 13:55:15 PDT 2017

I feel especially lucky to have not only a nice dog park but a group of wonderful owners.  Reading the stories in the Drool today makes me understand better why people are pleasantly surprised when they visit the dog park here - at least when the regular morning crowd is there.  We are regulars on Sunday mornings, and have been doing this for about 5 years.  My husband and I show up with the 4 hounds.  MacKenzie, our very large girl and age 9, is the official park greeter.  She loudly announces newcomers and performs "back ground checks" on all dogs as they enter.  Gallagher (also 9) is simply a "watcher" and tolerates the other dogs and welcomes all belly rubs.  He's happiest lying in the dirt.  Miss Mulligan will run and play with other dogs, and is frequently seen tossing a tennis ball - to herself.  Then there is Guinness, the official deputy of the park.  Think "Barney Fife" - the deputy with no bullets.  He gets protective and playful, but doesn't have that many teeth.  He has a "bromance" with an older Shitzu mix - Wrigley (otherwise known as "the Mayor").  He's usually the happiest hound. The group of dogs all get along well, but the few with possible behavior issues have very responsible owners.  There can be upwards of 18 dogs on any Sunday morning.  This is a tourist area and we get frequent visitors.  No one is allowed to leave a dog unattended - I suspect the dog officer would be called here.  We are in the midst of selling our home and moving back north (if we get a buyer) and will miss the dog park here.

Sent from my iPad