[Dailydrool] Canine anxiety

Vikki Grauf via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jul 27 14:38:24 PDT 2017

First, my sincere apologies for the extreme length of this, but am trying to give as much details as possible.
Being the DD is all things basset, I thought I would run this by the Drool brain trust.Gus, nine years old, has developed some sort of anxiety problem, or at least this is what it looks like. He is never left alone, either I am here, dadperson is here, or girl puppy is here, more times than not, all three. He pants like he's been running, but he hasn't been. The house is kept very cool, as I do not do well with heat. And the really weird thing is he wants to sit in my lap during these episodes, and he is not light. This is totally out of charter for him, as he likes to pretty much keep to himself, and is only roused if there is food involved, or someone drives up.  It's only been going on for a few days, but I took him to the vet yesterday. They had no openings, but said if you come in, we will work you in somewhere. So after about three hours of waiting, we were finally seen (at one point we both fell asleep on the couch in the waiting room). They poked and prodded, listened to his heart, which I was worried about because he has a small heart murmur. But everything checked out ok, with the exception of a slight yeast thing going on in his ear, which he gets about once a year, and the meds always clear it right up. While there, I instructed them to have his anal's done, and also those titanium nails trimmed. They came out and announced his anal's were a bit impacted, but they were now fine.He was sent out with ear medicine, which seems to have already done it's job, and a prescription of Trazadone, 100mg, given two every twelve hours. I guess I should have had blood and urine drawn, but didn't. I asked how they pull the blood, I do not like the whole needle in their neck procedure, as I always fear one wrong move, and it will puncture their windpipe, and of course to save a few seconds, this is how they would have done it. When I asked what they would be looking for in the blood sample they responded kidney function, which I just didn't think this was the problem, and they didn't bring up urine sample at all. I have been up with him two nights in a row, till one in the morning, till he finally calms down enough to go to bed. This morning, he looked like his old cranky self, and I felt better, but then about two in the afternoon, the panting and wanting to sit on my lap thing started up again. I have given the Trazadone, and it does seem to help, but wonder what could have been missed, so I'm bringing it to the Drool. The vet wants us back in two weeks for a recheck, but if anyone on the DD has any ideas what to check for, I'd be grateful to hear them.
Thanks so much Vikki and Gus the nurotic