[Dailydrool] Pack consolidation

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jul 28 12:58:41 PDT 2017

It has been two years tomorrow that Mariah came to live with us, and it was one year ago April 1, that Ipo (pit mix) came to live with us.  Mila has been with us for I think four years last Dec.31 though not an official family member until last year.  (I think--but I am notoriously  bad with time in days and years, even without any dementia (yet)). Two bassets and a 75-% pitbull , 25%sharpei, catahoula, jack Russell mix.

I have been fascinated over this  period how the dogs have worked out their canine family and community.  The three girls get along perfectly now.  Some of it was worked out out of my sight and interference.  Mariah and Ipo had a standoff until I left all three dogs at a kennel one weekend and they shared the same exercise yard.  Ipo beat up Mariah there (no serious damage but a couplle of holes in her ears)  and since then Ipo and Mariah have respectfully coexisted, even being partners in crime, and have gradually become friends.  Mila has always been the one liked by both Ipo and Mariah.

Ipo and Mila;  and Mariah and Mila, have played together in the past, but never the three togetherunti just this week.  after  the tussle at the kennel between Ipo and Mariah, in fact, BOTH bassets cut Ipo off from friendly play, much to Ipo's sorrow.   Thel bassets would play with each other but stop moving whenever Ipo approaches playfully, and disand.  Neither would play with Ipo, despite Ipo's clear longing, play bow gestures, rolling on her back, and overt play gestures.  Ipo was shunned.

Last week both bassets relented for no apparent reason I can ascertain other than time and Ipo's clearly non-aggressive but no nonsense approach.  Now all three play together happily and in any combination of pairs.  It does my heart good to see all three happy and consolidated.  With the added benefit, I suppose, of Ipo pledged to protect her sisters from any outside dogs in the event of an attack from without.  Ipo is the knight dog, Mila and Mariah are the ladies.

I don't pretend to understand the dynamics, but find it fascinating and vaguely reminiscent of "Game of Thrones", which my husband and I have started to binge watch on Netflix so we can understand current political references. Lol. (Wow, amazing filming of simulated battle scenes, very violent and worth seeing, in my opinion).

So, I am curious what other droolers have observed as new members of your packs are added or subtracted. Observations?

Val of Hawaii with Mila, Mariah, and Ipo Notabasset