[Dailydrool] dogparks

lois.leader lois.leader via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jul 26 14:48:25 PDT 2017

Hi, Val.

Like you, we've reluctantly sworn off dog parks for our current two.

Bobo the Inhaler and Scout (his Lab assistant) loved their trips to the dog park. Scout liked nothing better than to instigate a chase; that is, encourage a string of dogs to chase her around the park. Bobo ambled contentedly about, sniffing here, sniffing there, sniffing sniffing everywhere. And marking his presence in numerous locations.

But Emma, with her uncertain rescue history, is freaked out by sudden movements or loud noises or groups of dogs approaching her for a meet and greet. And Dobby, well, he throws up in the car on the way to the park and again on the way home. (Alas, Dramamine does not help.)

Also, there are too many unneutered males at our local parks with owners (also unneutered males) who are just fine with their dog's borderline aggressive behavior. We've had some fatal confrontations involving such dogs.

So we will be hiking the desert trails in the mountains near our house or stirring up dust in the backyard playing ball.

Oh, if your dogs play ball, here is an indoor ball game Emma just loves. Get some cushions or dog beds and make a pile against the wall. Toss the ball toward the cushion pile and watch as your dog slides into home plate (the pile of cushions) and bounces off with ball in mouth. She could do this all day :)

Lois Leader with Emma the Aussie Basset Dog and Dobby the House Elf

lois.leader at cox.net