[Dailydrool] Dog parks

Pamela McQuade via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jul 27 08:49:55 PDT 2017

I have never had a good experience with dog parks, though I tried a
couple of them. Either my dogs are fearful of the other dogs or there
are totally obnoxious dogs in the park. I've never had a nice
experience, and my dogs haven't seemed to like them either.

Once we took Jane, Bel, and Abner to a park, and Abner was terrified of
the other rowdy dogs. After a few minutes we went home. Later I tried
another park with Dexter, before he lost his second eye, and he clearly
felt that the other dogs would attack him. He hid under a bench meant
for people, and nothing would convince him to come out. Before I got the
message, an obnoxious pit bull who wanted to hump him to death, I think,
kept going after Dex. His owner had simply disappeared, so I had not
choice but to take Dex home.

I sometimes wonder if Cleo would enjoy a dog park. At ten she is still
very lively. But I can also see her trying to get all the other dogs in
line and getting into a fight, so I guess we'll never do it. Dex already
has lots of holes in his ear because he got too close to her--she just
will not tolerate anyone bumping into her.
Dog parks are simply not meant for the Dashing Bassets.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets