[Dailydrool] Dog parks

Mary Wilson via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu Jul 27 14:25:51 PDT 2017

Paddi B Basset absolutely loved our local dog park as a puppy. At that
point her motto was "Hail dog! Well met!" and she adored all of the dogs
and most of the people. She loved to sniff with the smaller ones and run
with the big pack of larger dogs. Keeping up was a bit of a challenge. She
had a great technique of lying in wait until the pack was almost up to
where she was standing, then running like crazy for about 50 yards, then
lying down to wait until they came back the other way again.

DH and I both laugh about one particular day when someone looked at her and
said, "Oh, poor puppy, she's lying down... so tired..."  We chorused
indignantly, "She is not! She is lying in wait!!"

When we got Billy, our first boy basset, the dog park was less successful.
He always seemed like a real gentlehound but whenever he saw a boxer (who
knows why?) he went off the deep end... snarling and saying words I didn't
even know he knew. I remember one memorable day when he was snarking and
snapping and the boxer he was confronting just got scooped up by his person
to get him out of the way -- quite the humiliation for Mr Billy Basset but
I was relieved. I was completely blindsided by the behaviour. It happened a
couple more times (with more control and no boxer-scooping) and that was
enough for me.

So we stopped taking him, and kept taking her, until we moved to a rural
area with no dog park.

She did love it, though, and she really seemed to miss it at first.

Mary, with Paddi B Basset, Queen of the Hume Park Dog Park (self-appointed
-- retired)