[Dailydrool] Toads

Beverly Szaton via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jun 14 14:49:11 PDT 2017

I look out the window. It has been very very hot and muggy and the dogs
have been inside except for very brief forays out to pee.
Doc is sitting off to one side of the yard, watching his flock. At the
moment, the entire flock is Merta Lou. Conley has not gone outside.
Merta Lou is at the back of the yard near the pond on full alert, pointing
at the grass. Suddenly she leaps straight up in the air and comes down
bouncing. She bounces a few steps and stops, nose in the grass, tail going
wildly. She pounces again, shoots straight up in the air, bounce, bounce,
bounce.
Doc is watching intently but leaves her alone. We both know what she is
doing: the yard is full of toads, and she is on the track of one. She knows
better than to put it in her mouth, but they are gloriously fun to push
around the yard.
A good sport, the toad keeps going for a bit and then slides under the
fence.
Party's over.
What a funny girl she is.

MomPerson to Merta Lou, Conley & Doc