[Dailydrool] Oh, the excitement!

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jun 30 19:42:51 PDT 2017

This is Mariah.  Ipo and I have put together a dynamite gymnastic dancing and singing act and we practiced it to perfection yesterday on and off all afternoon, with an admiring audience of one, before Mom closed the curtain on us (or yanked us off-stage with a hook, more like it).

The houses on our street are set fairly close side by side, though they have generous front and back yards.  The space between houses is maybe only twelve feet, I would guess. Six feet on our side, then a fence, and then six feet on the other side of the fence.  Grassy alleyways, really, though no cars--just property lines.   This arrangement doesn't seem too awful to the people in the houses, since the houses mostly have windows in the fronts and backs and not on their sides (which face each other), so the people forget that the other people are there unless everyone is outside or somebody gets noisy (like us?).  The houses all sit on a hillside so the houses are cantilevered on stilts (front yards even with the road and higher than backyards, which slope down to the next street; and the side alleys slope from front yard to back yard).  Our next door neighbor built a studio apartment under their house on the hillside, kind of a triangular, slope-roofed affair, with windows on the side facing the alley (and the underneath of our house), and our grassy passageway, as well as the back.  ( I know, this is a lot of description, but it helps understand our song and dance routine).

SO--the new tenants in the studio apartment got a KITTEN.  And that kitten likes  to sit in the SIDE window on the side of the house watching Ipo and me other side of a chain link fence, only six feet away.  So we entertain the kitten-hey, we are good neighbors--by jumping and barking and howling and spinning and racing up and down the alley and jumping and spinning some more and leaping at the fence.  Repeat repeat.  The kitten sits there watching with wide eyed interest, greatly entertained.   Mom locked us in the house yesterday and is wondering what to do.  IF we didn't bark and howl and sing, she would write it off as good exercise for us and good entertainment for the kitten, but what good is a song and dance routine without the song part? I mean, really!!

So Mom is considering ways of blocking our view which would not also cut out the light and what view the apartment dwellers have to the apartment next door.  No solution is ever easy, she says.  Me, I like singing and dancing and think she should butt out.  I suppose she needs to consult with the tenants about solutions.  Of course, Ipo and I could always e re kitten and solve the problem that way too.

Mariah the Maraudah of Hawaii with notabasset, Ipo, and goody-two-shoes Mila who doesn't mind cats and never misbehaves.  Vlbzwick at yahoo.com