[Dailydrool] Breed differences

Elizabeth via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Jun 9 16:59:25 PDT 2017

We used to take care of a standard poodle for a friend whenever she had to be out of town. This was during the days of our late Jane Basset.

Jane would sit, lie down, stay, come, and balance up to three Milk Bones on her nose on command. But it always took her a few seconds to process and then complete the requested action. She wasn’t exactly leisurely about complying, but she wasn’t instantaneous either.

Cinder, the poodle, was. Cinder was so desperate to achieve instant obedience that whenever I told her to sit, she’d slam her bottom down on the floor so fast and hard that I felt I needed to look for cracked tile under her. She obeyed every command with that much enthusiasm, speed, and force. I think it’s a poodle thing. In my experience, it’s most definitely not a basset thing.

Elizabeth and young Charlie, who obeys eventually