[Dailydrool] Breed differences

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Jun 4 14:21:46 PDT 2017

We have three dogs, two bassets and a pitbull mix.  One basset and the pitmix are six years old, the other basset is probably about three.  The differences between the dogs could be individual, of course, or background related as well (all are rescues; one basset came from a stable home, the other was a stray, the pitmix had a traumatic and hunting background). but I am struck by how different the bassets and the pitmix are.  the bassets are total cuddle bugs who want to be right next to us, sleep in bed with us, tend to be couch potatoes who nap or snuggle and prefer to be inside.   the pitmix is friendly and loving but likes to be outside and is super alert, watching the neighborhood, rarely napping.  She wants to play and run and lives for outings. she sleeps by choice in the living room and "guards" the property, though if anyone actually comes to the door she is all wiggles and kisses. SHe likes people but is not as oriented to them as the bassets are. And  the pitmix is a LOT more obedient than the bassets. Suggests to me there really are breed differences (it's not just the environment and owners) even when all of the dogs are loving companions and good dogs. Though a sample of 3 really is too small to generalize.  do others of you have similar or different impressions about "breed" characteristics. Just curious.

Val of Hawaii with Mila, Mariah, and Ipo (vlbzwick at yahoo.com)