[Dailydrool] best things

Donna Lindy via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed Jun 14 16:32:45 PDT 2017

Well, of course, the doggie door and the fences, although
the fences had to be redone to hold in Sunny, our notorious
escapee who got out 9 times in one weekend not long after
we first got her.  They had worked perfectly well for the 7 bassets
that came before her, though.

In 2002 we added a basset room to our house - what a lifesaver
that has been! I know that some people think your basset needs
to go everywhere in  your house but between taking care of old
folks and having a d-i-l and grandchild that are allergic to dogs,
we’ve found that dogs adapt just fine to being not allowed in some
rooms.  Our basset room is large, has double french doors so they can
see outside easily and a doggie door to a fenced yard with a low
deck for sunbathing. It’s a great place to confine the hounds when
you have company or a repair man.  And it adjoins the kitchen so
the hounds are never far from their next treat or meal.

Baby/dog gates - I think we all know this one well.

Also my Bissell pet carpet cleaner - still going strong after at least
10 years!

Ramps, ramps and more ramps!  We have a ramp over the 2
steps down into the basset room, a ramp over the steps down
from the back porch to the patio and a ramp from our low deck to
the back yard. And we use a ramp to help the dogs into the back of
the bassetmobile when needed.

The best $25 I ever spent I think goes to the magnetic screen
we put on the kitchen door to the side yard.  We don’t have a
doggie door to our fenced side yard but the dogs love to be out there
where they can observe whatever is going on up and down the street.
They learned how to come and go with that screen in no time and there
are plenty of days when the kitchen door can be left at least partially
open so they can have access to that yard without us having to get up
and down to let them in or out.

A Help Em Up harness - pricey but pays for itself the first time you
lift your dog into the car or wherever.

A garden wagon to haul whatever you need to your basset picnic
or other event.  Also good for a hound that can no longer walk
very far. We recommend the lightweight one that folds up - easier
to take in the BUV.

Pill masker - I have had better luck with this than with pill pockets.
I have put pills in all kinds of food from peanut butter to cream
cheese but this has always worked for my hounds.

Lead harness - it doesn’t quite stop my dogs from pulling but it
does help keep them from pulling so much and they can’t get out
of it, which is the biggest plus for me.  I don’t know if you can ever
stop a scent hound from pulling completely but even though I’m not
as mobile as I used to be, I can walk my girls with this harness.

Patience, routine and a good credit card for those vet bills, dog
food, dog treats and dog toys and to take to those basset events!

Donna, drool fueler for Sunny and Maggie