[Dailydrool] First Basset Hound

Ron Buries via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Mar 18 20:51:48 PDT 2017

I am enjoying all the tales of how fellow readers found themselves falling in love with this funny, loving devoted breed.
My tale is somewhat similar. As a firefighter, I was working my 24 hr shift when I got a call from home. My wife informed me that
our daughter had come home from school asking if she could bring this dog home from school. It seems that when the children were out
on the playground a man pulled up in a pickup and threw this dog out and took off. The dog promptly walked up to the fence and started
barking. The school custodian took him and locked him up and was getting ready to call animal control. Buy daughter started pleading with me.
I finally caved in and told her she could bring him home, but she had 3 days to find a home for him our I would take him to the pound myself.
I came home after my shift was over to find this long skinny red and whit basset hound in the back yard playing in the backyard with my son and daughter.
Well, three days came and went and he was still in my back yard. He won the hearts of my children and my wife in a nano second. I was a little slower
to warm up to the idea of a dog, but he just seemed to fit in. We called him dog for a few days and the began in ernest trying to figure something that would fit. We finally named him Bass, and simple as that he ruled the house. Bass went everywhere with us. He was lovable, and never had an enemy
other then cats..Drool, could he drool. I carried a rag in my pocket just to catch the drool or wipe it off the walls as he generously deposited everywhere.  He became my heart dog. The adventures we had were priceless. Sadly one night I came home from an event and my wife said there was something wrong with Bass. I looked at him and he was bloated. Unsure of what to do we called the emergency pet hotline we found in the yellow pages.
The said to bring him in. We loaded him up in my truck and lost en route to the vet. That was my first experience with bloat. Through the years  I have
 had 4 bassets. I can’t think of a more wonderful breed. Each one has brought so much joy, laughter  and wonderful memories to to our lives.I am so thankful I gave my daughter those three days, because those three days changed our lives forever.