[Dailydrool] Mariah checking in

Val lbrewerzwick via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sat Mar 18 18:07:00 PDT 2017

Aloha all.  This is Mariah checking in.  We are in a state of political upheaval at our house.  No, nothing to do with the human government--unrest in dogdom.  My long-legged sister, pitbull mix Ipo, has been with us one year come April first.  April fool's day, yes.  During this past year Ipo has very gradually emerged from a terrified, meek, submissive creature into a confident, people-friendly, increasingly assertive dog.  I preferred Ipo's former persona. All this past year,  Ipo has been low dog on the canine totem pole. Mila has been top dog, and I've been number two.  Mila and I have never quarreled with one another and all told, ours has been a peaceful household.

Until this week.  Ipo appears to be staging a coup.  It looks to me as if Ipo fully intends to take dogdom as Number one.  Yesterday Ipo beat me up.  Mom heard screaming in the yard and ran out to find Ipo pummeling me and put a quick stop to the rumble.  I have a small hole in my ear (even though Ipo doesn't have a lot of teeth). Mom doesn't know how it started.

Today mom watched as all three of us ran for the dog door to scramble into the yard and bark at something.  HAlfway to the door, Ipo spun around towards us, and both Mila and I headed for cover.  Mila went to hide under a chair; I ambled casually towards the back of the house.

Mom is pretty alarmed and anxious and has been snarling at Ipo "Last one hired, first one fired!", whatever that means.   Dad is not particularly alarmed and says, "Mostly they get along fine (true); let them sort it out. It probably was inevitable Ipo would become alpha once she recovered from her PTSD."  Mom says it better get sorted soon before any dog gets hurt.

So that's what's up.  I blame the late Harley of Hawaii, ATB.  I read on the Drool where ATB dogs "send" new dogs to their former earthly homes after they go to the Rainbow Bridge.  Seems like most ATB basset hounds send new basset hounds to their families. But, oh no, Not Harley ATB. In life Harley always found lady pit bulls irresistible.  He was absolutely smitten with them.  So I suppose it only makes sense that the canine Harley sent us was a lady pitbull.  No one asked for Ipo;  she just moved in. And, of course, on April fool's day too!  Fool on you!  Gee, thanks a lot, Harley.   Mila the Maraudah.  Vlbbzwick at yahoo.com