[Dailydrool] First Basset

via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon Mar 6 13:08:35 PST 2017

About twenty five years ago my son was a student at the University of
Georgia.  He watched a guy in a truck dump a basset/corgi mix in a park and
take off without her. He and his girlfriend scooped her up after hearing  some
ladies in the park discuss calling animal control.  That night I got a  call
at the house from my son.  He said he had a problem.  There was  something
in his voice that cued me in.  I asked if the "problem" had four  feet.  He
said yes.  And I said, what have you got?  And he said  "Mom, she's old and
homely and she needs a home.  And you know  what the pound does with old
dogs!"  And in came Lulu.  And she was  old.  Old enough to have cataracts and
fatty tumors.  But I thought  she was beautiful.  There was just a look in
her big brown eyes.   She spent the last five years of her life with me to be
followed by seven pure  bred bassets - Sophie, Dora, Abbey, Toby, Duncan,
Nicholas and Junior.  The  love affair with the breed is still going on.
Would not have it any  other way.

Beth Hanna
_bethahanna at aol.com_ (mailto:bethahanna at aol.com)
Mom to Duncan, Nicholas and Junior