[Dailydrool] First Basset

Janis Wetherbee via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri Mar 3 15:00:14 PST 2017

Way back in 1992 my son mentioned he wanted a "Hush Puppy"  Me being the
major dog lover said what the heck.  I saw an ad for some puppies in my
vets office (Yeah, I know)  Went to see them and fell in love with the one
they called Manfred.  Bought him for a whopping $150 and brought home
Frederick D Basset.  He was my heart dog.  He was supposed to be my son's
dog but he became mine.  At the time my yard wasn't fenced but I really
never let Fred out on his own.  Someone always took him out.  My son said
he was the perfect chick magnet and a legend was born.  I used to sell
socks and dog treats at our swap meet with my aunt and I'd always bring
Fred with me.  Pretty soon people would go by and yell out, "Where's
Fred??"  "Right here beside me".  I was known as Fred's mom.  One night
Fred had to go to the potty so I opened my back door for him to go out,
turned around to slip on my thongs and by time I got outside (no more than
a minute) he was gone.  He was three years old.  For nine days I searched
the desert, roads, put up posters, called everyone I could think of.  No
sign of Fred.  A bout 10 pm one night I got a call from the local Sheriff
who asked if I had a dog named Fred.  Yes.  "he's here and has been hit by
a car and is in bad shape".  I made it to the Sheriff's office in record
time.  Quick enough to say goodbye to my heart dog.  Everyone in the office
was crying, even the big bad officers!!  Frederick led to rescue hounds and
I haven't stopped since.  Every single one of my hounds has had a middle
initial that rhymes with D.  Cleo P, Drew P, Chopper C, Newman D, Norton B
(named in honor of Sydney B-not-a-foster), Mollie G, Mac C and last but not
least the mini wanna be Tedward E.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

--

Janis Wetherbee

Unconditional love comes from a rescued animal.  They may not be our whole
world but they make our worlds whole.