[Dailydrool] London trip. Monday pm, a trip to the ballet

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Mon May 1 08:32:37 PDT 2017

Twinkletoesflew round gently waking everyone later that afternoon. She and Poppy ATB wereterribly excited because on the Tube ride I had told them about our specialevening event. My two-legged sister works at Sadlers Wells, London’s prime balletcentre, and that night, the company was holding a special dress rehearsal of SleepingSharpei and we had exclusive invitations.

We arrivedafter visiting a couple of pie shops, and were shown to our seats. Theorchestra started to play and Halfred, Rusty and Hooter the harrier got dreamylooks on their faces and started the hum along. Several of the hounds edgedforwards to see the musicians play.

Then thecurtain went up and the stage was full of beautiful hounds and houndetteswearing incredible outfits and dancing like their paws never really touched thefloor. Pawtunia couldn’t take her eyes off the costumes, “if only I could justtry one on,” she whispered. “Me too,” said Heidi. Millie, Grace and Daffodiljust gazed, with tiny glistens of drool hanging down their jowls, like diamonds.

At half time,we went to buy frosty paws from the usher who was standing in front of theorchestra pit. Halfred gazed over the edge “I would so love to make music” hesighed. “Me too, agreed Hooter, Rusty stood on his back legs and peered intothe pit. “Hooter, you and Chrsitmas the beagle have long legs, see if you canreach over and reach that lovely ’cello. Hooter leant over, and reached out “Christmas,hold on to my back feet and I might just,……….Oh, oh, ohhhhhh………………”

There followeda mighty BOOOM as Hooter landed right in the middle of the kettle drum.Christmas jumped down to help him up and Rusty, leaned over to give a paw, withChunky holding onto his tail to add weight. Just as Christmas grabbed hold ofRusty’s paws, with Hooter clinging on to his tail, Mac and Ted came runningdown the aisle. They hadn’t seen what was going on and cannoned into Chunky andRusty, who toppled over the edge of the pit and landed slap on the drums andthe piano.

Herr Leidenschaft, the German Shepheardconductor, stormed into the pit to find out what was going on. The boys weremortified “We so loved the sound of your music,” explained Hooter, “we weretrying to see better….”

Herr Leidenschaft looked cross, but said: “Ovcourse you boyz vanted to hear ze music, it ees the bezt in England. You shallcome at ze end and ve vill play juzt for you."

When Mariahheard this she called down “Mr Leidenschaft,if the boys can have special music, can we girls dance? He looked up into herbeautiful eyes and sighed “Miss Mariah of Hawaii, for you, anything. I willspeak with the stage manager and wardrobe houndettes.”

We were so excitedwhen we went back to our seats that I’m afraid we rather fidgeted through thesecond half, so much so we needed three extra helpings of frosty paws.

After arhooingloudly and stamping our paws for the performers, we rushed to the orchestrapit. Some of the hounds wanted to dance and some wanted to help with the music,but Madden just sat looking sad. “I can’t see well enough to help with themusic, she sniffed and I’m frightened I might fall off the stage if I dance.”

 Queen Olive flutteredher angel wings and landed beside her. “Don’t worry,” she said. “You will dancein the middle of the stage, the others will dance around you, and all withangel wings will watch you from above. We will not let you fall. Madden wasdelighted as the other hounds described the beautiful costume she wore and shejoined them on stage for the most wonderful night of dancing and music.

As the houndswent to leave, Herr Leidenschaft sidleddown at Mariah. “Beautiful houndette, will you allow me to call on you while youare in town?”, he asked, staring into her eyes. “I would so like to see youagain.” Mariahsmiled shyly, but I didn’t hear her reply.
Weleft the theatre and being exhausted, hailed a passing black cab. The driverlooked at the whole pack and said he wasn’t sure we’d all fit in. Ipo, our pitmix friend, stood up and looked him in the eye. “OK, he agreed, somewhatwarily, “Everyone aboard.”

Bythe time we got back to the hotel we were exhausted and fell straight to sleep,dreaming of the wonderful music and costumes we enjoyed that night.

Wherewe went: http://www.sadlerswells.com/

Please remember,if you are on our trip, we would welcome you giving a little of your cookie money to Basset Hound Rescue Network Great Britain. You can donate on their webpage through Paypal, on their Just Giving page, or send me an email and I will send you the address for checks. bassetydogshomr at gmail.com
Many thanksClara and Rolph, UK