[Dailydrool] London Adventure. Tuesday am. Breakfast isn't served

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue May 2 00:00:12 PDT 2017

I waswoken in the morning by someone knocking very loudly on the door. As most ofthe others were still asleep, or pretending to be, I went to find out what wasgoing on. I opened the door to see a handsome red and black hound with a cutewhite spot on his chest.

“Hithere, are you miss Clara?,” he asked. “I’m Jed. I missed my connection, butmanaged to get a later flight. I hope I haven’t missed much . . . especiallybreakfast.”

 I lookedat the clock. “Breakfast isn’t served for another hour. Let’s see if there’sanything in the mini bar to keep you going until then.” But the bar was empty. “That’sodd,” I said. “I’m sure there were extra treats and snacks in there last night…”Then I caught the half-open eye of Mollie Grace. “Ah,” she said sheepishly, “Oliviaand I were a bit peckish after all that dancing and, er, well you see….”

 Emma, theAussie basset saved the day. Her colonial relatives had dropped off a Fortnumand Mason Belgravia hamper the day before, so she went and collected it fromreception and shared it out. It’s funny how many “sleeping” hounds weresuddenly wide awake!

 “Right,”said Chunky, after every, last scrap was eaten, “last one down to therestaurant is a cat!”

 Thewaiter was trying to bar the door, saying breakfast wasn’t quite ready, but wereally didn’t mind going straight into the kitchen and helping ourselves. Bacon,eggs, sausages, black pudding, fried bread, toast and jam, marmalade, croissants,cereals, fruit…. There was something for everyhound.

 The chefseemed quite upset we had to go into the kitchen for our food and kept tryingto usher us back to the tables, but really we were saving his staff morewashing up. Although I did hear him send off the junior kitchen helper to getmore supplies for the rest of the hotel’s guests. Bit off that, a posh hotel inLondon not having enough food for everyone. Still, never mind.

 As wewere getting ready to out for the day, the receptionist called Mariah over andpassed her a gilt-edged envelope. She turned her back to us as she ripped itopen and gasped. “Oh my!” She turned back to us exclaiming, “Mr Leidenschaft, the conductor from last night,has booked us all a private pod on the London Eye tomorrow!”

 “Oooh, “saidDaffodil. “I’ve read about that in one of mom’s books. It’s a giant wheel withglass boxes and when it turns around you get a birds-eye view all acrossLondon.”

“Does it govery fast?,” asked Heidi. “I’m not sure I’d like to go flying round on afairground wheel.”

“Oh no. It goesso slowly you hardly know you’re turning. And if we have a private pod we cantake a picnic with us and hold a party in the sky.”

“Wonderful, “ Itold them. “But I think you’re going to enjoy this afternoon’s trip just asmuch. We are off to see London from its very best angle – the river.”

Clara, withRolph, London.

Pleaseremember, if your hounds are on this adventure, do offer a little cookie moneyto BRNGB who save basset hounds in the UK. Visit brngb.org.uk

What we ate: http://www.fortnumandmason.com/