[Dailydrool] London Trip

Elizabeth via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Tue May 2 08:04:20 PDT 2017

We’ve missed the sign-up deadline, but that may be just as well because I’m writing to say that while young Charlie would love to go to London, I’m going to have to keep him home. I’m afraid his wonky front legs and feet won’t be up to all the walking that will be required. He’s good for about five blocks, and then he starts dragging, walking more and more slowly. I interpret this as a sign his old, malformed joints have begun to hurt. So then I pop him into his basset buggy, the Burly Tail Wagon I bought him last year as his birthday/Christmas present.

He’s pretty good about sitting or lying down and enjoying the ride, but I have to keep a tight leash on him while I’m pushing his buggy down the sidewalk because every time he sees someone, especially someone walking a dog, he’s eager to jump out all by himself to go say hello. And heaven forbid we should see a c at t! Charlie’s body tries to hold him back, but sometimes his enthusiasm wins out, and then he ends up having to take an extra dose of Rimadyl.

If Charlie were going on the trip, he’d ask to see the Royal Ballet perform because, as some of you may remember, he’s had dance lessons himself. That has led to a deep appreciation for ballet, one of the more difficult forms of dance. He’d also want to visit the Tower of London expressly to chase the ravens, even though I’ve advised him that’s not a wise thing to do. When I visited the Tower of London years ago, I watched one of those birds effortlessly snap a sizable stick in two with its beak. Imagine what a riled-up raven might do to a boisterous basset! He would also want to spend quite a lot of time hanging out in pubs because he is sure everyone there would pat him.

But due to his physical limitations, Charlie will be an armchair traveler and look forward to hearing about everyone’s adventures.

Elizabeth
linktolindsey at gmail.com