[Dailydrool] London Adventure: Thursday am - tea dance at the Savoy

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Thu May 4 10:29:18 PDT 2017

We were just leaving the kitchen this morning when we saw a hound bustling through the foyer towards us, lugging a large case.

“I’m Tabby,” she introduced herself. “I’m sorry to be so late to the pawty but this was the first flight I could get - I’ve been on the red-eye and I’m exhausted.

“No worries” I said. “Come this way and I’ll show you our suite.” Duchess swooped down and grabbed her bag “You poor dear,” she said. “Let me help you with that.”The other ATBers all fluttered around helping with the big bag.

“I’m really sorry Tabby, there isn’t any breakfast left,” I warned her.“I don’t think you need to worry,” groaned Duchess, who even with the help of Bobo, Stuart and Rudy was struggling with the bag, “I think she bought her own kitchen,”

Tabby looked a bit sheepish; “just a few homely comforts is all.”
I told the hounds we all needed to catch a few Zzzzes as we had a busy day ahead. “I can’t sleep already” barked Mozart. “We just had a whole night’s sleep.”
“Are you sure you’re a basset?” asked Stonewall
Most of us piled onto the luxurious beds, sofas and rugs, but a couple of the younger pups went to help Tabby unpack in the hopes of sharing a few “home comforts”
“What’s the itinerary for today?”asked Daffodil, “I picked out this lovely book when we were at Number 10 and it’s just full of interesting places to see in London. I could just swallow up all of this culture - the museums, the art galleries, the palaces, the monuments.”
“That’s the problem with London,” I agreed. “We would need a lot longer than ten days to see it all - let alone what’s on offer in the rest of the country. But I’m afraid on this trip we will only visit the highlights. You are always welcome to come back another time.“Anyway, we need a quietish day today as we’re travelling tonight.”

“Travelling where?” asked Christmas.

“Scotland?” asked Stuart

“Ireland?” asked Pawtunia
“I’ll tell you all later,” I grinned, but you won’t be disappointed. “Which reminds me. Dexter, could you take this message to Cleo? Thank you.”
After a long snooze, broken only by a three-course lunch in Soho, I told the hounds to get ready for our afternoon out.

“Put on your best clothes, and houndettes, if you bought your best jewellery, today’s the day to sparkle and shine. We’re going to a tea dance at the Savoy Hotel.”

What a fantastic sight we were, pouring along The Strand in our finery. The girls wore their most beautiful frocks, with a few low necklines and leg slits showing us to our advantage. Pawtunia wore pearls and a diamond tiara, Millie wore an understated diamond and sapphire clasp, Kylee Dawn and Kaitlynn Skye wore matching diamond collars, with emerald buckles, Olivia had diamantes stitched along the hem of her frock and madden wore ruby anklets.

The boys all wore tuxedos, and they too were not above the odd ornament or statement. Hooter and Stuart, of course, had  tartan waistcoats, Chunky and Rusty both wore purple satin bow ties, with matching cummerbands, Paulie’s were scarlet, Dexter and Christmas had both chosen a golden yellow, while the others stuck to traditional black. Rolph, being titled, also wore an opera cloak trimmed with ermine.

We arrived at the grand entrance to the Savoy and the human wearing a top hat held the door open and bowed as we swept in. And there, waiting for us in full imperial regalia was Cleo, with poor Horton, clutching her train and looking slightly uncomfortable.
You would think she had arranged the party herself, the way she graciously greeted us all and led us down to our table in the Thameside Bar.

To one side a palm court orchestra played, while uniformed waiters silently whisked between tables, with the most beautiful bone china tea services and tired plates of delicately cut sandwiches and fine cakes.

“Oh, it’s so beautiful,” gasped Heidi, looking round at the elegant surroundings and the stunning clientel.

“Do they serve coffee?” asked Halfred looking at the teapots with some concern.

“No problem old man,” said Rolph, discreetly calling over a waiter. “Anyone else prefer coffee?”The order was dispatched and acted on within moments with such grace we hardly noticed the staff.

Twinkletoes was already swooping over the dancefloor, her golden wings accentuated by a beautiful golden necklace. Duchess swooped up to join her with a stunning tiara on her head “If only my mom was here to see us all” she laughed. Poppy and Olive swept up to join them, brushing the silk ceiling with their wings and they swept around in time to the music.
At most tables, one stand of sandwiches and one of cakes was produced for the entire table to enjoy, but Rolph had called ahead and made sure each hound got an individual stand of each.

Just then, Gunter appeared at our table “Miss Mariah, may I have the pleasure of this dance?” he asked, and the went off to join a smart houndtrot which the orchestra had struck.

Mac took Paisley to the dancefloor next, followed by Tedward and Sasha, Jed with Mollie Grace, and even Horton dared to slip over and ask Emma to the floor. Samantha called across to Stonewall and he swept her away with brotherly charm.

I felt a bit sorry for Ipo, sitting there alone. She had a beautiful gown and had chosen her jewellery so carefully. At that moment Bobo swept down and asked for her hand “my lady,” he bowed, “As I can fly, the difference in our heights will be no barrier to an enjoyable afternoon.” And off the went. I was surprised quite how light Ipo was on her feet as they swept around the dancefloor.
Cleo was tapping her hind paw and throwing meaningful glances at Rolph. I admit, he was averting his gaze somewhat….and was he looking around the room for someone?
Just as Cleo got to her feet with the clear intention of taking him on to the dance floor, Rolph leapt to his feet and cut across to a table facing out to the Thames. I saw him sit down next to a lady dog, but I couldn’t see who it was through all the dancers.
Cleo artfully rearranged her dress and sat down as though that was her intention all the time. But I won’t have you thinking my brother is a cad. He swiftly returned to the table chaperoning an older corgi lady who radiated, pearls and good breeding.
“Miss Cleo,” he bowed, “allow me to introduce Her Royal Highness Duchess WIllow, of Barkingham Palace.”“My dear,” smiled Wilow “How charming to meet you at last. I’ve heard so much about you.”
Cleo stood graciously “Your highness, how happy you must be to meet me.”
Rolph cracked me a wink as he swept young Samantha back out into the dance floor, leaving the empress and the duchess slugging it out for rank.
“Clara my dear,” said Willow, using her best doglamatic tones “Would you care to bring your visitors for a little pot luck supper this evening?”
“We would love to come, but we have to be at Paddington by 9pm. Does that work for you?” I answered, wondering exactly what went for pot luck at the palace.
“Perfect my dear. Be there for an early sitting - shall we say 7pm?”
More soon
Clara, and a host of beautiful party-goers in London.
Thank you so much for the donations. If you wish to give a little cookie money to the homeless hounds of London you can Paypal  or visit their Just Giving page to pay by card. Those who want to send a cheque can emai me at bassetydogshomr at gmail.com for an address.