[Dailydrool] London Adventure: Tursday pm. Barkingham Palace

Sally King via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Fri May 5 09:17:18 PDT 2017

Younger Clara hereWe just had time to pack an overnight bag and have a quick snack back at the hotel before the concierge rang to say our cars had arrived.

Willow was clearly keen to impress, a fleet of shiny, black, chauffeur-driven Rolls Royces was waiting to whisk us to Kensington. Even our ATB friends travelled inside a limousine rather than fly along outside.

“Oh, said Cleo, “I thought she’d send the golden carriage. Doesn’t she know who I am?”“Don’t fret” said Rolph. “Only the queen gets to use that, and even then it’s a major faff, they have to close roads and put up barriers to keep the commoners back - and these are far more comfortable…” Cleo didn’t look impressed “And they have built-in picnic tables.” That seems to improve her mood.

We swept up to the front gates of the palace (a rare honour, usually guests go through a side gate), past the Grenadier Guards with their tall “busby’ fur hats and bright scarlet jackets, through security and into the coach arch.

I’ll be honest, I was really hoping the hounds were going to be on their best behaviour for this one.

A butler was there to receive us, and led us through long corridors, flanked with beautiful artwork and fine antiques, to the smallest state room.

“Welcome, welcome said Willow, arriving through a door from the private quarters. It’s so good of you all to come.”

I was counting heads, hoping no one had snuck off to the kitchen, when I realised I hadn’t seen Ipo since the Savoy. How could I have missed her?
A butler was serving pre-dinner cocktails from exquisite glass bowls. I sidled over to Bobo, who was sniffing at a masterly flower arrangement. “Do you know where Ipo is?”

He looked a little awkward. “I promise you Clara she is fine. She just wanted a bit of time to herself. She will be at Paddington to meet us at 9pm.”I saw him glance over at Horton in a slightly guilty way. Well there was nothing I could do at that moment, but I was surprised she would miss a trip to the Palace.

A butler came to the door “Dinner is served maam”

There followed a most sumptuous 12-course meal, served on bone china plates, although Willow kept apologising for its modesty. And Cleo cut in “Oh yes, it’s so hard to know what to do with the kitchen scraps”

Once the meal was over, Willow offered to give us a private tour of the palace, but as we were standing, the door to the private quarters opened and a chubby toddler puddled out “Doggies” she exclaimed. “Doggies”

“Oh a small child,” cried Heidi, rushing right over to her. I love small children.

Willow looked shocked “Princess Charlotte. What are you doing here?”“Doggies” replied the small princess and put her arms around Heidi’s neck.

“Where’s your nanny? Or mother?” was there a touch of panic in Willow’s voice?“Doggy” affirmed Charlotte, who then very gently took Heidi;s ear and led her off to the royal nursery.

Rolph looked at Willow for a lead. “It’ll be fine,” she said. “My family love dogs.”

A small boy then appeared and looked at the huge pack of hounds. His face broke into a wide grin. “Come and play?” he asked.

Among hounds there are always a few who adore small children - and who could resist an invitation to the Royal Nursery (Rolph among them)?

The rest of us, were given a personal tour of the rich carpeted hallways, the works of art, the fine silverware, impressive state rooms and fine antiques.

Finally, Willow asked if we would care to see the stables and the Royal carriages. Cleo was not the only hound beside herself with excitement.

Guards saluted as we trotted past, and the stable boys scurried around at their work beside gleaming horses. The Queen is known for her love of the animals and every beast there was a testament to her experienced eye.

Then, we got to the carriages. Not just the massive golden state carriage, but a selection of covered and open vehicles and even a couple of Prince Phillip’s driving carts.

Mozart and Chunky immediately jumped up inside and sat on the driving board geeing up imaginary horses. Olive and Poppy hovered under the traces to humour them.

Olivia and Pawtunia climbed up into the open carriage and practised their Royal waves, swiftly followed by Rusty and Halfred, then Christmas jumped up to act as coachman.Paulie, Stonewall, Samantha and Daffodl obliged by slipping under the harnesses and pawing and stamping.

Cleo, of course, wasted no time in arranging herself in the Golden coach, with Horton and Dexter beside her. Rudy and Stuart stood in the traces grinning.

And I don’t know how it happened, I really don’t. Maybe the excitement got the better of us all, Maybe someone moved the stability chocks, but whatever it was, the driving cart rolled forward.
Olive and Poppy, feeling it move also went forward and suddenly an angel-powered cart was pulling out into the parade ground.
Paulie, Stonewall, Samantha and Daffodil ran forward to stop the cart, forgetting they were in the harnesses of the open coach, which had pulled William and Catherine from Westminster Abbey after their marriage. It lurched after the cart.

“Don’t just stand there!” Cleo yelled at Rudy and Start, who, caught in the moment, pulled the golden carriage out into the grounds with the others.
By now there was no stopping them, the elegant carriages were soon whizzing around the parade ground with the guards stiffly standing at salute.

I was horrified, I turned to make my apologies to Willow, only to see a wicked grin as she quickly hid a carriage block behind her skirt.

“Well, dinner at the palace is a bit dull for such spirited hounds,” she laughed. We’ll give them ten minutes, my dear, then bring them in.”

I looked out as the golden carriage took a corner on two wheels, “are you sure?” I asked.“That carriage has survived countless generations of Royal children. I think it can cope with Empress Cleo,” she twinkled.

When we got back to the nursery Heidi was in heaven playing Royal tea parties with the prince and princess, the other hounds acting as the royal guests.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were sitting to one side smiling benevolently.“Did you have fun?” asked the Duke, “It was all we could do to stop George coming down and joining in.”

I looked up at the gilded clock over the mantelpiece. “Your majesties must excuse us, I said with my best curtsy, We must be at Paddington in 20 minutes.”
“We’ll call the cars,” said the Duchess, stroking Heidi’s head. “Thank you for entertaining the children. They’ve had a marvellous time.”
We were whisked to Paddington Station just in time to climb aboard the train to Exeter.
"Settle down for the night," I told everyone, "and when we wake up our good friend Morse will be there to greet us."

Even Cleo was too exhausted to insist on First Class and we all curled up to sleep before our next adventure.

Clara, Rolph and a load of Royal wannabes, on a train to Devon

Where we went: Barkingham Palace http://www.buckinghampalace.co.uk/index.php

We are delighted with all the kind gifts which are being sent to our homeless friends. If you wish to give a little cookie money to the homeless hounds of London you can Paypal payments at brngb.org.uk  or visit their Just Giving page to pay by card. Those who want to send a check can email me at bassetydogshomr at gmail.com for an address.