[Dailydrool] Long-term antibiotic use!

Ellen Cole via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Wed May 10 17:29:23 PDT 2017

I took GracieLou to the vet's office today. It was just a routine visit...they wanted to do the annual heart worm blood work, etc.  In the course of conversation, I mentioned Gracie's "old dog breath". The vet said, "Let me just take a look at her teeth". I said, "Her teeth are bad, but she's sixteen". Naturally, the vet found an abscessed tooth. She told me that there's a veterinary dental practice nearby that she highly recommends. They work mainly with older dogs and do a very quick surgery. "It's hurting her" , she said. I asked if an antibiotic might not solve the problem. She said, "While she's on it...yes. As soon as she comes off it, the abscess will return.  It won't cure her".

So here's the thing.  She's sixteen! She is in, otherwise, good health. I have noticed the bad breath. I have noticed that she occasionally rubs that side of her mouth with her paw. She is eating and drinking normally. Her temp is normal. She is acting normal. I have real reservations about doing a surgery. I also wonder why on and off long term use is a deal breaker in a sixteen year old dog? I know all about resistance and side effects but, at her age...is "keeping her comfortable" a crazy idea?

Would love some experienced input.

Ellen & GracieLou FlatBasset
erc2761 at gmail.com

Sent from my iPad