[Dailydrool] Saying goodbye to Louie

Bonnie Bostelman bonniebostelman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 19:30:19 PDT 2017

We lost our Louie last Monday and our hearts are broken. He was 11 years old and we had since a puppy. He was such a playful basset and we all had to take turns playing with him. Maggie and Lucy hated him immediately but he was like “watcha doing?” He was a fun loving goofy basset who was very handsome but yet sensitive when he was away from home. He had that typical sad face that made all the neighbors feel sorry for him. He was a counter cruising thief and my next door neighbor thought the empty bags she seen in our backyard was her son being sloppy taking out their trash. Nope those Cheeto, bread etc etc bags over the years were remnants of the thief himself. Sticks of butter, got a jar of peanut butter you name it he stole it. He was a big boy and long and loved the counters. He picked up the bad habit of drinking my morning coffee from Lucy the basset. After a while, he needed a cup to get him through the day.. lol

Louie nickname was Woo-hoo because he would steal the toilet paper run to me to let me know what he had and the chase began! He was smart and a talker. He always had to have fresh water or he would drink out of the toilet. I could be dead asleep and Karl would hear me yelling get down Louie without opening my eyes because I knew the sounds he made trying to jump up. Karl over the years had built him his own stairs that he used to get on our bed.

Louie was not a Rescue dog but he raised lots of money for Rescue. He was CH LM Candyland Big Dog Daddy which was a fitting name. All our dogs were rescues except two of them.

Louie loved to be smooched on and petted. He make moaning sounds when he wasn’t happy about something. He helped many a foster dogs in our home too feel good once he was sure they weren’t there to kill him..

The whole Bostelman clan I am sure was there to greet him. Hopefully Maggie and Lucy filled in Ethel, Maggie, Millie , Freddy, Bessie, Jethro, Otis, Sissy, Annie, Sheldon, and I know there are more..Like all of Ethel’s puppies.

I don’t have any Bassets left after 31 years. We have rescued Beagle Beau-zer who is missing his big buddy but no Bassets and the house is quiet except for Sophie the parrot yelling ya wanna eat?  Louie always fell for it

There are so many memories that we will cherish as we go through the grieving process. He left us suddenly but we will be forever grateful he was part of our lives for 11 years and almost 4 months.

RIP our Big Beautiful Basset Boy

Love
Karl, Bonnie, Beau and Sophie the Parrot