[Dailydrool] Surprises

Val lbrewerzwick vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 12:04:19 PDT 2017

My husband and I have fallen into routines.  the dogs as well. After dinner before bedtime, Bill and I settle into routine spots—me draped across the loveseat and he sprawled out on the couch—and then we either watch TV or  read.  Usually Ipo sleeps under my knees on the loveseat. Mila lays next to my loveseat on the left side where my left arm dangles over and I casually scratch her head or belly.  (Mariah keeps watch on the lanai or gets a jump on the rest of us and takes the best spot on our bed to sleep.)

Last night Mariah was in the bedroom, but the other two were not in their usual spots (apparently).  I was aware that Ipo was roaming about—there was a full moon—but assumed Mila was probably stretched out next to my loveseat as usual. I was watching TV and casuallyI reached down to dispense Mila’s usual scratches and caresses.  And my hand contacted something else— a wet, warm, bloody,, recently killed rat.  I levitated off the couch!  Surprise!!!

Our former hunting dog, Ipo, has taken to leaving me homage gifts next to my reading chair, loveseat, and bed. (No wonder Mila wasn’t there).  Thank you, Ipo.    Val of Hawaii