[Dailydrool] Shy dogs

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 04:21:43 PST 2017

I sometimes think we work too hard at making our dogs be extroverts. Don't
get me wrong. It is imperative to socialize a puppy. They need to be
exposed to all kinds of people and situations so they can become
comfortable with them. But at some point, the dog may decide there are just
certain things that they are not comfortable with doing.

Beauford is now 8. He had the same family raise him as a foster as Bugsey
did. They were excellent at socializing and introducing them to different
stimuli. When I got that I tried to continue it. They both went to puppy
class. They both went to the feed store with me so they could be exposed to
calm, quiet children (served a lot of Amish) Amish children know how to
move slow around animals and ask before petting. I had to laugh because
they almost always pet the side. Then they ask if they can per the head,
and then of course the ears. They sit on the floor to do this. Yes, I know
all the evils of the parents and puppy mills, but the kids were a great
introduction for the dogs. Petmart has a totally different kind of children
running through the store. We went there next. Bugsey loves going places
and meeting new people. He is a huge ham. Beauford does not. He is not a
fear biter. He just is leary of new people. Once in a blue moon, he will
let someone pet him at the vet. Ironically, I usually find out the person
has hounds, even if the hound is not with them. He hates going for rides.
As a puppy he suffered terrible from car sickness. Then there is Browyn the
Fairy Princess. She is a complete chicken by herself. Take her with
Beauford and it is even worse. Take her with Bugsey, and she works the
crowd shamelessly. Browyn's foster mom worked as much as she could with
her. We have as well. She didn't get to go to puppy class. She was a parvo
puppy and looked it for several months. By the time she was ready, they
said she was too big for puppy class and would have to go to adult class. I
didn't think she was psychologically an adult. Not sure she is yet! So we
worked with her at home with her brothers.

I totally get that you can't train every dog to be an extrovert. You have
to have an extrovert to go in the show ring, but introverts still make
great companions.

Ironically at home, Beauford is the alpha. Just ask Bugsey and Browyn.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess
timandjenmartin at gmail.com