[Dailydrool] Hot Spots

Jennifer Martin via Dailydrool dailydrool at lists.dailydrool.org
Sun Sep 17 04:18:39 PDT 2017

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with hot spots. The very first
and most important thing to do is shave the hair off of it and the
surrounding area so it gets air. Then clean it up as best you can. I like
to use unscented baby wipes followed by chlorhexadine pads. Next, cal the
vet, especially if this is your first hot spot. They get big and bad
amazingly quick. They usually appear when allergies are bad and it is still
hot and humid. At our house, all three bassets have severe allergies. So
the vet and I have worked out an entire allergy treatment plan. So I have
an allergy medicine with a little steroid in it. It is last on the list of
things to add, but I will use that as soon as I see a hot spot. As long as
the hot spot is not getting worse and is making improvement, I continue on
that course. If it is getting worse, I immediately call the vet. If it
starts to linger and not improve, I call the vet. There were so many years
that I attempted to treat hot spots at home without a good treatment plan
in place and tried to go herbal and I have to say now I really regret
having made my poor Banshee suffer so much. I really wish I could have a do
over with her. Of course, she was my first severe allergy girl and I
learned a lot from her. Hot spots are incredibly painful for the dog and
can get really nasty secondary infections in them in a blink of an eye. If
you have any questions feel free to email me.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess (who has a
shaved patch on her butt from the last long gone hot spot)
timandjenmartin at gmail.com