[Dailydrool] Toppings for kibble

Riche Churchill ninedogs04 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 21:26:29 PDT 2018

We have always "topped" the dogs' kibble with a couple Tbsp of something; more or less, depending on dog size,) which ranged from 10 to 80 lbs. In the earlier years (50's & 60's) it was boiled hamburger, which then was 5 lbs. for $1 (most of you probably don't remember back that far). Later it was canned dog food and had been until about 3 months ago when I grew weary of some of my dogs taking one sniff and turning their heads away in disgust or boredom. (Few things get on my nerves more than failure to eat, since it's almost always a sign of something going or gone awry.)
But they were checked and were okay; just tired of canned Pedigree or Alpo. Not that I blamed them, it had begun to displease me, too. What that stuff supposed to BE? Despite the varying label descriptions, they all looked and smelled pretty much the same. (Being good Catholics, they usually got mackerel on Friday nights, unless I forgot to buy it, and were more enthusiastic at least one day a week.)
For the worst head-turners, I tried the fancy stuff (Nutrish, Newman's, etc.) but they didn't seem to like it much better and it is quite expensive.
SO, I decided to make my own topping and it is a whopping success. About every 3 or 4 weeks, I get out the big crockpot and put in 5 lbs. of chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), about 3 lbs. of ditto thighs, a pound of giblets and hearts and, in last hour or so, a pint of chicken livers. When done, I add cut green beans and diced carrots -- not for food value, just to stretch concoction. Sometimes, I add ramen noodles (which they love) but not the seasoning packet which is too salty. Their kibble is high-quality and I do not feel the need to add supplements to the topping.
I live in rural Tennessee, and think my food prices may be lower than where many of you live, but I estimate a crockpot-full costs about $14. That is the equivalent of about 11 cans of ick, and the crockpot stew lasts longer than 11 cans of dog food would (stew is portioned into containers and frozen -- thawed as needed).
SO, am saving money and making my dogs very, very happy. VERY. And it really isn't much trouble. I just dump everything into the pot along with half a cup of water and cook for 5 or 6 hours. The chicken falls apart even as you shred it, so it's really more a matter of spooning it into freezer containers. (Don't put the livers in till last hour or so or they disappear into the broth, and don't use more than 1 container as they are super-rich, but oh so tasty and fragrant -- to a dog).
Riche
ninedogs04 at yahoo.com