[Dailydrool] Introverts and Bassets

Elizabeth linktolindsey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 06:43:51 PDT 2018

One of the many reasons I like having bassets is that they force me to meet new people, some of whom eventually become good friends. Unlike some of the other breeds out there, bassets look approachable, and I’ve found people will cross the street to come and meet my basset (and, by extension, me) instead of crossing the street to avoid my dog. This is especially helpful when I’ve moved to a new city and know absolutely no one and am feeling a little lonely and sorry for myself. (Any Indianapolis Droolers out there who’d want to do a basset play date sometime when it’s warm outside again?)

I’ve been blessed with hounds who’ve all been delighted to make new friends, which helps. Young Charlie, in fact, is so eager to meet and greet that he wants to approach everyone he sees on the street and cries pitifully in frustration when he’s not allowed to. He’s especially enthusiastic about other dogs and little boys. I think it’s because his first family had a little boy in it, and my guess is that it was a good experience for Charlie. I’m sure that in Charlie’s mind his little boy is still a little boy, and I don’t have the heart to break it to him that his little boy is now over six feet tall and in college.

Now that the Wee One has come to live with us, the dynamics on our walks have had to change. She’s a typical chihuahua in that she looks so wee and cute that everyone, especially children, want to pat her. But she’s nervous and twitchy around strangers, especially children, and I have to warn them not to try it. So there I stand with one arm stretched out in one direction so Charlie can make a fuss over someone and the other arm stretched out in the opposite direction holding back Tina Turner who’s trotting anxiously in tight circles and getting her leash all twisted up (which is when Ken stops calling her Tina Turner and starts calling her Twisted Sister).

I discovered a company on Etsy (called Patience and Love 143) that makes leash sleeves with embroidered messages on both sides. You slip it on a dog’s leash and then go out to discover just how many people in this this world are able to read and follow directions. Charlie’s reads “I’m Friendly” on both sides. The Wee One’s reads “I’m Scared of You” on one side and “Please Stay Back” on the other. They’ve been surprisingly effective. I’ve also been pleased to find that the majority of the children I run across while walking the dogs have actually been trained to stand back a distance from a dog and ask if they may pat it.

This introvert likes having a dog that makes it so easy to meet people. I would have a hard time of it without my bassets’ help and would, as a result, feel a little bit lonely in this world.

Elizabeth