[Dailydrool] Antacid

Elizabeth linktolindsey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 07:28:59 PDT 2018

A vet told me to give our late Jane Basset, who weighed about 40 pounds at the time, 10mg of famotidine before meals. The bottle said to give it to take one hour before a meal. When I told the vet I was having a hard time remembering an hour before a meal to give it to her, he said it’d work just as well giving it to her with her meals.

I’m currently giving young Charlie Basset (advancing years have taken him down to 36 pounds) 10mg of famotidine with his meals. It may be that the medication works best if taken an hour before and with a full glass of water, but taking it with a meal and without a lot of water is still better than not taking it at all.

Sometimes, if I can’t be home to watch Charlie for an hour after he eats, I’ll give him a simethicone 125mg gelcap with his meal. I do this because I live in fear of bloat and believe simethicone to be imbued with magical anti-bloat properties. Certainly the liquid drops can be a lifesaver when a dog appears to be uncomfortable after a meal.

Elizabeth