[Dailydrool] help help help

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Mon Dec 31 20:01:13 PST 2018

Robert,

I’ve never found a belly band that works great either so I had some made by a friend that were wider than the ones you can buy. Others may have some better ideas on that.  I’ve only had to use them on one of my hounds and the boy was old and thin.  Wider ones did help but he could still come out of them.

Has your boy been tested for diabetes inspidious, Addison’s or Cushings?   If not, in my opinion it is time to do that.  If you’ve been to 3 vets and no one has tested him or at least recommended it, I think you need to find yet another vet.  Unfortunately, these are not inexpensive tests but they are all illnesses that need to be treated and can be controlled with medication  - which will stop his water addiction.

My Elmo was obsessed with water, too.  Luckily he didn’t have any of the 3 mentioned above and the vet and I  decided he had polydipsia, which is basically an obsession with drinking water - google it to find out more about it.  If your boy is a rescue, it may be that he didn’t have access to water all the time in his previous life and he feels like he has to drink, drink and drink some more. My Elmo LOVED his water and it was driving us all crazy.   So here’s what I did to break him of the habit.  First I put less water in the water bowls (I had 4 hounds so this was tricky but I found that keeping a pitcher of water near the bowls helped so I could refill easily).  I did not deprive him of water because I felt like that would make him even worse.  So less water in the bowl - if he’s draining the bowl, then less for him to have in his system.  The other thing I did was distract him when he would drink - let him have some, but then get his attention and draw him away from the bowl. If you live where you can him get him outside and go for even a 5 minute walk, that worked well for me.  Take him outside for more potty breaks so he’s not holding so much in his bladder.  Even if you have a doggie door, which we do, go out with him and walk around with him a bit.  Engage him when you can with something.  Put some kibble in a kong, hide pieces of kibble in the house, etc. (don’t overdo the extra kibble or you’ll have a fat, peeing dog on your hands)  Play with him, snuggle with him.  It’s been a long time ago and I don’t remember how long it took to break Elmo of his water obsession but I did it.  It’s work but worth it.

IF you need support, call the rescue where you got him - they have lots of experience and may be able to give you some good information or have some suggestions for you.

Good luck and I hope he doesn’t have anything really wrong with him.

Donna, drool fueler for Maggie and YaYa