[Dailydrool] Millie

Elizabeth linktolindsey at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 07:34:36 PST 2018

If a dog who’s generally pretty good about not peeing in the house suddenly starts doing so, my first thought is to check for a urinary tract infection. Especially if the dog is an older female.

Our late Elsinore came to us so beautifully house trained that I swore if she ever had an accident I’d know something was really wrong. Five years after she became ours, she had an intentional indiscretion on the carpet in Drooler Kelly Jane Wilson’s house while there on a play date. I know it was intentional because Elsinore looked me right in the eye, made sure she had my full attention, before squatting and peeing on Kelly Jane’s carpet. I called immediately called the vet for an appointment, and sure enough, Elsinore had a UTI.

That became her way of letting me know she was having that kind of trouble. She always ensured I was watching; then she’d squat, and I’d call the vet. It was a good system except she never employed it in her own home. Perhaps she felt her message wouldn’t be received or have the maximum impact at home the way it would at, say, the beginning of a pet therapy recertification test. Oh, Elsinore. And after all the preparation we’d done for that test, too.

I hope Millie’s improving health continues and your floors stay dry. Oh, and a very happy birthday to you, Douglas!

Elizabeth
linktolindsey at gmail.com