[Dailydrool] Reggie Update

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 15:59:30 PST 2018

Thanks for all your kind words about Reggie and his back pain. The comments
about back care and treatment are good reminders. I've already
"basset-prepped" the home - I did replace the steps to the porch with a 20
foot long ramp so the dogs don't have steps to get outside, they aren't
allowed on the furniture, stuff like that. The most recent vet that saw
Reggie is better trained for this kind of thing than the regular vet - it
was a surgical/emergency treatment center. She also suggested that if this
doesn't clear up on the current meds and rest, we would proceed with the
myelogram and see if there's something damaged that needs repair. But her
extensive exam didn't seem to indicate that this was severe, just painful.
However it is becoming chronic so if he goes through this again, I'll be
taking him back there instead of the normal vet's offices.

As for the crate, I've already given up on that when I'm home. I tied a
short leash to the table next to my chair...he can't jump, run, or do much
other than lay around. I did the same to the leg of my bed. So he's very
close and happier, but still restricted enough that he remains sedate. When
I'm at work he does go back in the crate. Hopefully he isn't fussing too
much - I'd hate to get a nasty-gram from the neighbors.

Anyway, the meds have him very comfortable now, and not "rummy", so the
balance of meds seems to be good. He's a real go-getter though when it's
potty time. He really wants to go down the ramp and out to the yard way too
fast. I should have named him FLASH. But for another week I have to keep him
slow and easy. Not happening...but I'm trying.

Tim 'n Puppies