[Dailydrool] Smelling

Sabrina Nicholls brii at sprynet.com
Sun Feb 4 14:24:00 PST 2018

I was amused by people trying to hide the scent of evil smelling pills
in food like liverwurst. Dogs can still smell the pill, but they decide
it's worth swallowing to get the liverwurst. I've been reading Being a
Dog by Alexandra Horowitz. It has a lot of information about dogs' sense
of smell. Examples she gives are that if you put the smell of banana
inside a canister, dogs keep finding the banana until it is diluted to
1-2 parts per TRILLION. A dog can smell 1 mg of smelly socks among 100
million cubic meters of air.  And an explosives detection dog can smell
as little as a trillionth of a gram of TNT. I also found it interesting
that dogs smell in through their nostrils and out through the sides of
their noses so exhaling doesn't push out any scent. And they can smell
from one nostril at a time, starting with the right nostril. Long smells
can last up to 40 seconds while short smells can be as quick at 12 per
second. If your dog seems to miss a treat you dropped and continues to
sniff, it's not that he misses the treat, he's just checking out what
else is nearby before going back to that spot. I was also fascinated by
Horowitz' earlier book, Inside of a Dog.

I joined the Daily Drool in the mid-90s. There were 66 members when I
joined, and it was on AOL. I don't see any danger of its dying. During
this thread, it has been nice to hear from some of the old timers.

Sabrina Nicholls, Gumbo and Ellie (Brendan and Calhoune ATB)
brii at sprynet.com