[Dailydrool] Cyst care

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 05:03:49 PST 2018

One of the things I appreciate on the e-list Drool is the health-care help
you all give. It is so much better than anything you'll get on FB.

My track record lately on dealing with Dexter's cysts (he seems to have
them pop up quite often) has not been great. Last fall he had two removed,
after I'd tried to avoid putting him under the knife; then he had surgery
for an abscessed tooth, less than a month later. So I would prefer not to
put him under the knife again so soon, especially since he had a hard time
after the second surgery--not eating.

Now he has another cyst. He has licked it a lot, and it opened and drained
a bit, but it still is not gone. I have put a hot pack on it once, but I am
wondering if I should be doing something else, since previous hot packs did
not eradicate his other cysts. Any advice?

Finally, since he is prone to these lumps, is there something I should be
doing to keep him from getting them? I have a vague memory that someone on
the Drool said they are a result of inflammation.
Pam, food slave and nurse to the Dashing Bassets