[Dailydrool] Dying Daily Drool?

Alisa Garbrick ilvbassets at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 15:26:44 PST 2018

I've been a DD member since the late 90's when there was a waiting list to get in.  Back then it was an amazing way to connect and meet other like minded folks and to share advice and stories... and oh there were so many.  I've been a lurker for many years but have started reading the DD more now and am so happy to see some familiar names posting lately.  When I joined the DD we had our 4 pack (Molly, Maggie, Watson & Buddy) who all passed in a horrible 9 week period in 2008 which was the most devastating period I can imagine .... we went from 4 to 0 in 9 weeks and were left stunned, heartbroken and shaken. I don't think I stopped crying for not just months but years.  We waited only a few months before trying to repair the huge hole left in our hearts and brought home Bentley at 11 weeks old.. he was such a joy and a comfort to us.  When Bentley was a year old we heard about a little basset girl who was living in her family backyard under a tarp and arranged to pick her up and Bentley fell instantly in love and Sadie came to stay so we had a pack again.   Several years later while at a BROOD Ramble I was in charge of adoptions and was running the adoption booth all day while my husband was watching a new pup BROOD had just brought in, five month old Charlie.  I barely had time to breathe let alone pay attention to the pup that day but about 5 days later my husband informed me that he had fallen in love with Charlie and we had to have him.  We brought Charlie home and he adored Bentley and Sadie to pieces. The 3 of them were very close and  as they were all red and whites they looked just like a family.  Sadly, we lost both Sadie and Bentley in 2015 a few months apart and Charlie was an only dog for quite awhile.  A few months ago we brought home baby Clementine to keep Charlie company and while he is not used to having a youngster around they are starting to bond.  We think and talk often of our angel dogs who we remember and miss every day.  With our original pack who we had from 1996 to 2008 we made several trips to Mishgun for the Waddle, to Tri State and BROOD events. We worked with BROOD and fostered, the infamous Da Moose being one of our fosters until he went to live in fame with his Mom Barb Baumann, raised money, volunteered and we made many friends along the way.  We met the Mother of the DD, Nancy Gallagher who just happened to live within miles of me.   My favorite memory is the 1st Mishgun Waddle in 1999... this is the year I met for the very first time the Dawns (of the East and West and Canada), the infamous FeyFey and her dedicated slaves  when we burst into their room when our wayward hound pushed her way in ....  that was an amazing trip... we got to meet Beth Fuller and Charlie & Melissa Fenchel and Jo...Steve  "Poots" Candidus and Brenda ... oh my goodness I know I'm leaving too many out but it was an amazing time...those years of meeting up at events and loving every minute of it and the fact that via Facebook and the DD we are still connected to most of these wonderful people.    I've been lurking for a long time but am still grateful to Nancy Gallagher for starting this group and thankful that it is still thriving.

 Alisa Anderson Garbrick
 Basset mom to Charlie & Clementine
And Angels: Molly, Maggie, Watson, Buddy,  Sadie  & Bentley