[Dailydrool] Bassets and Bonfires (a happy ending)

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 20:20:58 PST 2018

We are now living in the middle of a 200+ acre Christmas Tree farm.  It is the perfect place to rent while our home is built. They love dogs here and there is a lot of room to play.   Last weekend, the extended family of the farm owners, took down about 40 super sized trees that would likely never be sold.  Each tree was taking the space of about 5 normal sized trees.  Jack & I helped a bit and the 4 hounds had a blast running around with the owners’ dogs.  Today was a calm day with rain in the forecast so it was “burning” day.

There were 2 huge piles of dead trees, one on either side of our driveway in the middle of empty snow-covered fields.  The owners had tractors moving the piles around as things burned down.  Suddenly, a suicidal mouse came from the field and ran right into the burning pile!!!  Mulligan raced to the “rescue”.  I could not believe how fast I reacted to grab her before she went into a burning pile.  She was not at all happy to be pulled away from her treat.  Not a whisker was burnt.  If the mouse perished, I’m sure a burning death was a much better fate than what Mulligan had in mind.  She likes to play with her catches.  Sometimes I think she’s got some cat blood in her.

Sent from my iPad