[Dailydrool] The "new" dog

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:31:42 PST 2018

Gallagher was a puppy when we moved from Connecticut to North Carolina.  In
CT, as a puppy, he hated the snow.  He would put his front paws outside,
pee and step back in.  In NC, he absolutely hated rain.  If the ground
looked wet, he'd refuse to go outside.  If he really had to GO, he'd run
out, pee and run back in.  We figured he'd hate the cold weather.   Well,
he seems to really like it.  He loves running in the snow, He walks in the
rain.  He even decided that Guinness, was his best friend.  He always
barely  tolerated his younger brother, but would never sleep near him at
night.  We both thought, wow, this transition is easy.
Then we realized he was acting strangely.  He's pretty normal in the
morning, but as the sun draws low in the sky, he is definitely a different
dog.  He will decide to take a nap in the middle of his walk (this is
new).  He will go being the shrubs and stare at the sky, ignoring all
attempts to get his attention.  He was always the first to finish his food
bowl and now he doesn't want it at first, but an hour later will eat.
He is a big basset, not fat, with 12" ears.  He's red, gone whiter each
year.  He'll be 10 in May.  All signs are pointing to CCD.
His evening walks are earlier so that he will finish the walk.  I've joined
the CCD group on Facebook and it is helpful.  We have 4 Bassets, but this
guy is my heart dog.  I'm just hoping that I am wrong about this.  His
bloodworm is normal.   We go back to the Vet on Friday.  We'd love some
drool.