[Dailydrool] Barking

Nancy Kay nancykay9 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 16:15:31 PST 2018

We do what Pam McQuade described with her “Watch me” command. I learned it in a dog training class, and it really helps. When we’re walking and I spy a person walking a dog coming the toward us, I say “Look!”, which means look me in the eye and you’ll probably get a treat. The dog trainer said to treat the instant the dog makes direct eye contact with me, which both Charlie and Paige now know how to do. If I have a treat (which I usually do), they get one; otherwise they get a happy rub on the head and a “Good job!” verbal reward. The LOOKing at me/my husband is enough to distract them from barking at the interloper 90% of the time.

It does take some training and practice, like most dog behavior adjustments do. Be sure the dog makes eye contact with you (just wait until he does) before treating.

Hope this helps,

Nancy
nancykay9 at gmail.com