[Dailydrool] Barking

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 09:33:41 PST 2018

Elizabeth, as you may remember, I am not a big fan of negative training
methods for dogs, having had some who would have been adversely affected by
them. So before you jump into anything too negative with Molly, I thought
I'd pass along this article:
https://topdogtips.com/best-alternatives-to-dog-shock-collars/.

Horton tends to bark when strange dogs are on the other side of the street.
Every human thinks he's a dangerous guy, but the fact of it is, he simply
wants to say hello and perhaps play. What worked best for me was the plan I
read about, in which you take a treat, put it up near your eyes, and say,
"Watch me!" As long as I was consistent with this, he was good, but doing
it with three dogs in hand became a bit too much of a challenge for
me--still, if I am walking him alone and have treats, it works. I'm not
sure if this would help you out in the yard. The temptation is simply too
great. But it might help you in other situations.

Retraining a dog not to bark is a challenge because it makes the dog feel
so good to bark--endorphins rush through the animal's system when she
barks.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing and sometimes Barking Bassets