[Dailydrool] No-Bark

tcm541 at gmail.com tcm541 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 17:13:23 PST 2018

Wow. Stop a basset from barking? Good luck with that! I had a girl (Leia
Round) that was awful about barking and nothing worked. Until realized I was
trying the wrong thing. What she wanted MOST in life was to be out in the
backyard. So I kept a leash beside me at all times, and when she barked, I
immediately (and sternly) said "no barking", hooked her to the leash and
made her come back in the house, shutting the doggie door behind us. Fifteen
minutes. Then I'd let her loose and open the door. She'd go out and bark,
and I'd go get her. Over and over. It took a few days, but she learned that
if she barked, I'd be right there to bring her in. Eventually, after she got
the rules down, just the "No barking!" was enough. Really, it worked. (Of
course, this won't work if the dog is ever unattended outdoors - they'll
"forget" in a heartbeat if no one is there to enforce it.)

My current pair of boys get a similar treatment. They only bark if the
neighbors are out, or another animal is nearby. But they know that if I say
"No barking" and they continue, they will be brought inside. I've given them
more leeway though, since it is much less of a problem than with Leia Round.

And in other news.Reggie is back to his old self. The back isn't bothering
him anymore. One of the meds they put him on was Prednisone, so we're
currently in the taper-off stage for that, and he's been off the pain meds
and other stuff (muscle relaxer, inflammation reducer) for nearly a week.
I'm still keeping him from running around crazy, and latching him to a leash
tied to the table leg at feeding time so he can't bounce and dance. It's
cute when he does that, but I want him keeping all four on the floor. And
I've got some extra strength Cosequin DS coming in the mail for him - he'll
start that in a day or two when it gets here. Hopefully that will help
prevent recurrences. Hard to keep a good boy down.

Huggles and snuggles to all the houndage.

Tim 'n Puppies