[Dailydrool] No-bark collars

Elizabeth linktolindsey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 13:24:12 PST 2018

It’s been a quiet couple of days, thanks to rain and cold temperatures that are keeping all the dogs inside. I’ve also been able to coordinate the Wee One’s necessary outings in the backyard for times when the next-door neighbors’ dogs are indoors.

I’m still researching no-bark collars, the kind that spray citronella or create an annoying vibration on the dog’s neck (I’m avoiding the shock-type ones). There are so many to choose from. In the meantime, following one suggestion, I brought out a spray bottle and gave it a try early in the week, before our current period of blessed calm began. I opened the back door, Molly heard the neighbors’ dogs, and shot over to the fence to tear up and down at lightning speed and bark at the top of her lungs. I managed to hit her on the side, but she never noticed. Didn’t break her pace or her barking. (Sigh.) But I’m keeping the bottle by the back door and will try it again the next chance I get.

When terrier types are fixated on something, not even a large pepperoni pizza dangled in front of their faces will register. When Molly hears those dogs, I could turn into a roaring lion and she’d never notice. She’s far too focused on those dogs. I know this because I DO turn into a roaring lion, metaphorically, every time she starts running and barking like a maniacal idiot at those dogs. I roar and charge toward her, and she ignores me, single-mindedly continuing what she’s doing. Even after I’ve caught her and am marching her back into the house in my arms, she’s still barking and struggling to get back to the fence. It’s only after we’ve gotten inside and away from the stimulus that she starts to settle down.

The “watch me” command works like a charm on Charlie. When he hears me say it, I have his full, undivided attention every single time. It’s incredibly gratifying. Molly, on the other hand, may respond to it in the house and enjoy the food reward she gets for obeying it, but even a large chocolate bar would pale in comparison to the high she gets from running the fence and barking her fool head off. Terriers. I despair.

For the record, I never wanted a little dog, especially not one with a terrier’s obsessive-compulsiveness. Another basset, or even a beagle, would have been nice instead. The things we do for aging parents who still want to maintain contact with the dogs they’re no longer able to care for anymore….

Elizabeth