[Dailydrool] To do surgery or not

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 2 20:48:42 PST 2018

When Speedy was with us, he had horrible teeth. Needed a deep cleaning each year so he always was put under even at the age of 15. When we decided to do his eye surgery I was scared. Obviously he was super old but I didn’t want him in pain either.  The surgery went without a hitch. The DH and I worked full time and we couldn’t watch him but my in laws stayed to watch my daughter and him. When he passed, it was the day no one was home about 10 days later. Bloat took him on the end. I think my in laws either thought I blamed them or felt super bad as that day they left the house early to take care of their own home that they hadn’t been to in 4 days. I don’t blame them. I do feel guilty that I didn’t come straight home from work. I had to go get dinner and I wonder sometimes if I had been home at 5 instead of 5:45, if it would have made a difference. But I digress. My point really is to say a 15 year old can make it through surgery and be fine. The recovery is a little more challenging. Given the choice now I still   would have done the surgery but I probably would have taken vacation for the post op or at least ensure that there was someone with him 24/7.

Nancy with Duncan and Rambo the Shar Pei
speedsterbasset at yahoo.com