[Dailydrool] suggestion about medications

Donna Lindy dlindy at mac.com
Tue Jan 16 16:20:14 PST 2018

I’m sure we all have plenty of dog medications in our pantries or wherever you
keep them - I go through mine a couple of times a year to check for expired meds.
Some I toss because they are familiar antibiotics or pain meds that have expired.
But others I keep because they didn’t work well for one dog or because of a side
effect a dog had.  I put this info on the label  so I know that this is a medication I
don’t want to use again or that I know to watch for a particular side effect.  If
you want to pass a med on that you can’t use, then

Terry’s email about antibiotics for resistant bacteria in a UTI reminded me and
I went to my little doggie drugstore as my vet calls it and sure enough, I had the
name of a medication to give her that had worked for 2 of my girls, although it
had side effects and we had to discontinue it after a few days - fortunately,
the medication worked for them in that short time.

I absolutely hate UTIs in dogs - they are as expensive as a surgery sometimes.
I learned with a couple of my girls that a culture needs to be done so we get
the right antibiotic; often we had to change because they were real champs
at getting something that was not ordinary.  And we often cultured about 10
days or so after they finished their meds to make sure it was gone - sometimes
it wasn’t.

Anyway, just thought I’d share what I do with some of my dog meds in case
it might be something that would be helpful to someone else. You could also
just make a list.

Donna, drool fueler for just Maggie these days