[Dailydrool] Stomatitis

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 17:45:26 PST 2018

Guinness was diagnosed with Stomatitis about a year and a half ago.  It is an awful and painful auto-immune disease that results in lesions all over his mouth.  It’s a reaction to the smallest amount of plaque.  He’s already had about half his teeth extracted and will likely have more taken out in the next month or so.  We’ve moved and have a new vet - who agrees with the diagnosis.  It’s rare in dogs.  He’ll be on antibiotics for a week to help clear up his awful breath and then we’ll schedule his surgery.  Of our 4 Bassets, Guinness is our clown.  We always joked that he was the “Barney Fife” of dogs - no bullets in a dog fight.  Initially he lost about 15 pounds (and that’s not a bad thing), but he’s hasn’t lost more weight and has a great appetite.  I’m guessing his love of food concurs any pain.
Anyone got experience with this?

Julie.a.canny at gmail.com

Sent from my iPad