[Dailydrool] A year ago today

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 14:31:40 PST 2018

Today marks a year that we lost Speedy to bloat. It still pulls on heart strings. Sometimes I wonder if he would be here today if we hadn’t elected to do surgery on his eye or if I had come home straight from work instead of going to get dinner after work. I will never know if it would have but still, I can’t help it.

More importantly I like to remember him how he was when he was healthy - demanding, sneaky and just plain cute. He loved getting Ted into trouble (the Shar Pei before Rambo). At this time of year he would love to eat the avocados off the avocado tree and have Rambo pick them for him. I remember standing agape at the window as I witness Rambo pull an avocado off the tree and drop it to Speedy. Those two had a system.

My 4 yr old remembered him this month. She told 2 strangers at tea that Speedy had a broken eye and died but it was ok because we have a new dog, Duncan. My best friend was with my daughter when she told the story. My friend had to explain to the couple what happened last year. We hadn’t mentioned Speedy in quite sometime so this meant she remembered him and what happened. I’m actually glad for this. Even though he was old and grouchy by the time my 4 yr old came along, he still liked her and would allow her to cuddle with him.

My baby won’t have the honor to have meet Speedy. She does have Duncan to fill her memories. Sometimes it seems that Duncan was always here even though it’s been less than a year. Duncan with his charm and happy-go-luckily attitude has helped mend our hearts and supplied new naughty things to complain about.

Nancy with Duncan and Rambo the Shar Pei
speedsterbasset at yahoo.com