[Dailydrool] Chemo question

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 09:23:44 PDT 2018

Cooper recovered from his spenectomy very well and is back to his normal self.   His appetite is even better than before I think - he is eager for his breakfast and dinner and before the surgery he wasn't always that much into his meals.   He is alert and playful and loves going for his walks.

He started a round of chemo yesterday.   They cannot determine if he has histiocytic sarcoma or hemagiosarcoma and are hoping that the lab that did the biopsy on the mass removed with his spleen still has it so that they can do a stain to determine which.   Since they don't know at this time but thought it best to begin the chemo he started on doxorubicin which is given intravenously every two weeks.   He will get three doses and then before a fourth dose they will do xrays, ultrasound and blood tests again to reassess his progress to see how it is working.

The vet went over most of his discharge instructions before we left but one part I read later last night said that since saliva, urine and feces contain small amounts of the drugs after treatment, he should not be allowed to urinate or defecate in areas where children play.   I know that this means to keep him off playgrounds and the park, but do you think it also means that he can't walk down the sidewalks where children will play sometimes?    Since it is the 4th of July today, I don't think I can reach my vet to ask and was hoping someone on the Drool had had their basset on chemo and knew more details on this instruction.  Does it mean the whole time he is on chemo (6 doses 2 weeks apart) or just a day or so after each treatment?   I will call tomorrow and speak with a vet but hoped someone here would know the answers.

He is getting treatment at UC Davis veterinary oncology department which has a very good reputation so I am happy we could get him in there.   It is about 90 miles from where we live but the closest place to do this.   I don't mind the drive, especially if it gives us more time with Cooper who is such a good boy.

Carol