[Dailydrool] Bone cancer in dogs

Vikki Grauf fudgelady_vikki at att.net
Fri Mar 2 13:00:51 PST 2018

I have a question for the basset nation....has anyone had any experience with bone cancer with their hounds? This post is going to be a tad long, but I want to give as much as an over view as I can. Gus has been favoring his left rear leg for months, as bassets tend to come up lame on a regular basis, I gave some pain and anti inflammatory pills, and figured we'd just go on with life. But it didn't seem to help. I take him to the vet, we get new pills, as maybe these are old pills, and they didn't help either. Ok, not good. Then all of Sophie's lymphoma problems surfaced in November, and Gus's leg got put on the back burner, as cancer seemed to be more serious than a touchy leg. Sophie made her journey to The Rainbow Bridge 12/30 of last year, and within a few days, pulled myself together enough to revisit Gus's leg problem. This time it's x rayed, and the vet declares it to be cancer of the bone!? This right on the heals of loosing a dog a few days ago, but no biopsy is done, because it is in his elbow and would completely destroy it, and he makes his diagnoses from an x ray, and according to him, this is a fast moving cancer. With this I decide to start the vitamin C IV cancer prodigal with another vet. The other vet starts us on the treatment, but also questions me. So he's been favoring the leg for months? Yes. In all those months has the look of the leg changed? No. Has a biopsy been done? No. We did the IV's for a few times, along with some acupuncture. Then the middle of January, I go back to the original vet to have a chest x ray done, as by now Gus should have cancer all threw his body cavity, but the x ray showed not one cancer spot. So we go to just acupuncture, and no vitamin C IV's, as we figure it's not cancer after all, just arthritis. Then about a week ago, the leg started to get bigger, and it happened fast. So now we are back to the cancer diagnosis, I even took Gus to another vet for another opinion, the vet took one look at the leg and just said "keep him comfortable". He now has an appointment with an oncologist on Wednesday, but I thought I would run it by the Drool for any insight that may be gleaned. Thanks so much, Vikki and Gus