[Dailydrool] Removal of spleen

Carol Yokum racetrcker at aol.com
Thu May 24 18:44:53 PDT 2018

Has anyone had to have their basset's spleen removed?    Cooper had pretty much stopped eating much the past couple of weeks although there were times he did eat but not as much as he usually did.   We went to the vet yesterday and the results of the blood and urinalysis came back showing everything was good but the x-ray showed a mass on his spleen.   They just called me with this news a little bit ago and I have an appointment to bring him in tomorrow for an ultrasound so they can get a better idea of just how big this mass is and what else it might be attached to.   She told me how the spleen is really an unnecessary organ but that it does store blood and if a mass continues to grow, it can explode and then the internal bleeding is a very big problem.   So it does sound like we need to get it out of there but when Cooper's dad looked it up online, it pretty much said that a non-cancerous spleen removal should not cause any problems or shortening of life but a cancerous one would be bad news.   Cooper will be 10 on June 2nd so we would not want to put him through chemotherapy.   From what his dad read, it seemed like after a cancerous growth is removed it could shorten life expectancy to a period of 2-3 months.   I am going to look into this myself and see what I find but wanted to get this sent off in case if could be sent out in time for anyone with this experience would have time to help me before his 1:00 appointment.

He is such a good boy and we want him to be with us for many more years.   Yesterday the vet could tell that he was very uncomfortable while he was pressing around in the spleen area but Cooper just stood there and let him do it, not trying to get away or crying or snapping at him.   I am pretty sure that a couple of his predecessors would have been growling at least or trying to bit at the vet.

Any advice will be most welcome.

Carol
Racetrcker at aol.com